Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Moon Journals

Moon Journals: Writing, Art, and Inquiry Through Focused Nature Study

Looking for something new and exciting to do this school year? Creating Moon Journals is the ultimate way to integrate science with art, writing, content reading... well just about every content area. I used this book as a spring board to get me started. I found some of the activities a bit too phoofy so I modified it as I went. Every year was different. When teaching multi-age I didn't want to do the exact same thing the next year so we took the premise and adapted to our plant study and made Tree Journals. The process of journaling helps fine tune observation skills along with the life skill of following through on a long term project. The result is a master-piece every child can be proud of. One of the keys to shaping this into a successful endeavor for all is modeling the process. Keep your own journal and share it daily with your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment